LSU dominates Texas in first game of series

baseball_2018-02-22_Texas_v_Lamar_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Texas junior infielder DJ Petrinsky threw around the word “sweep” this week prior to the Longhorns’ series with No. 23 LSU this weekend.

That’s off the table.

No. 19 Texas got pummeled, 13-4, Friday night in the first of a three games at LSU’s Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field in Baton Rouge.

The game started off on a bad note for Texas (3–2) with a three-strikeout inning for the Longhorns’ bats, followed by a five-run and error-filled bottom of the inning for the Texas defense.

After securing the lead, LSU starting pitcher Zack Hess never looked back. He finished six innings with 10 strikeouts for the Tigers.

He was not the story of the game, however, as the Tigers’ hitting was prominent early and often, led by Brandt Brouss and Hal Hughes’ six RBIs on six hits.

Texas starting pitcher Nolan Kingham was brought back to earth Friday night after dominating the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns last weekend. He threw a total of three innings and let up eight runs on only eight hits, though four of those were unearned.

Texas, which had let up only 1.25 runs per game coming into the series, was frozen by LSU’s offensive output on the night.

Before the game, however, the series opened up on a lighter note. Texas’ Augie Garrido and LSU’s Skip Bertman, both legendary college baseball coaches, were honored by throwing out opening pitches to their programs’ current coaches, Texas’ David Pierce and LSU’s Paul Mainieri.

Garrido and Bertman totaled a combined 1,694 wins, 18 College World Series appearances and seven College World Series titles at Texas and LSU.

Texas will look to finish out the series stronger than it started. With two games to go, a series win is not out of the question, but it will be an uphill battle in Baton Rouge. First pitch for Saturday’s game is at 6:30 p.m.