High-upside defensive end commits to Texas

Texas football scored its second addition to the 2019 recruiting class Wednesday afternoon when Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat committed to the Longhorns.

A three-star prospect with tremendous upside, Sweat has received a windfall of major offers since the beginning of the year, including from powers such as Alabama, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. But ultimately, Sweat announced his intentions to stay in-state and attend the 40 Acres in the fall after next.

Sweat has the potential to be a diamond-in-the-rough recruit of sorts for the Longhorns. Relatively overlooked until this past month, Sweat has spent the first three seasons of his high school career toiling under the radar. And even after Texas jumped into the recruiting mix, Texas A&M was considered the front-runner until late in the process.

The pledge helps Texas replenish a position of need. By the time Sweat arrives on campus, current ends Malcolm Roach and Charles Omenihu will likely have already departed from the program. With Sweat’s big build and physicality, he could very well compete for playing time as a freshman. At 6-foot-3-inch and already 250 pounds, he is expected to be positioned on the strong side of the defensive line where his run-stopping abilities will be of best use.

Sweat is currently rated as the No. 84 prospect in Texas by 247Sports. But if he enjoys another strong season as a senior, that ranking could easily rise.

For the implications on the rest of the class, Texas is expected to sign three or four more defensive line prospects in this cycle.