Mo Bamba named to the John R. Wooden Award Ballot

Carlos Garcia

Mo Bamba’s stellar season has not gone unnoticed.

On Saturday, the freshman forward was one of 15 players named to the 2018 National Ballot for the Wooden Award All-American Team and the Wooden Award Trophy as the most outstanding player in the nation. The Wooden Award, similar to the Heisman Trophy in college football, is the highest individual honor one can achieve in college basketball.

Bamba’s stats this season speak for themselves.

In addition to leading the Big 12 with 14 double-doubles, the 7-foot freshman leads the Big 12 in rebounding and blocks and ranks second on the Longhorns in scoring. He has already set the school record for blocks in a season with 107. Bamba also leads the conference and ranks 12th nationally in rebounding, averaging 10.6 per game.

The Wooden Award All-American Team, consisting of the nation's top-10 players, and the finalists for the Wooden Award will be announced following the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament. A 30-minute show on March 28, broadcasted on ESPNU at 7 p.m., will feature the announcements.

The 42nd annual presentation of the John R. Wooden Award to the men's and women's most outstanding college basketball player will be the anchor presentation of the ESPN College Basketball Awards presented by Wendy's on ESPN2 on Friday, April 6.