Papp stays hot, leads Texas to first top-five finish of spring

womens_golf_Court
Courtesy of Bethany Walter | Texas Athletics

Freshman Kaitlyn Papp led Texas to its first top-five finish of the spring at the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, Arizona. The Longhorns finished the tournament Tuesday in third place behind No. 1 UCLA and host Arizona.

Coming off a win in her last start at the Northrop Grumman Intercollegiate, Papp continued her hot play in Tucson, coming in fourth place at 6-under par and racking up another individual top-five finish. The performance marked the fourth top-10 finish of her Texas career.

“Individually, Pappy continues to play at a high level and is among the best in college golf,” Texas head coach Ryan Murphy said. “She’s worked hard and deserves success. And the fact that she represents herself and our school in a first-class manner makes me especially proud of her.”

Four out of the five Longhorns who played finished inside the top 15. Freshman Agathe Laisne and sophomore Greta Voelker tied for ninth at even par. Junior Maddie Luitweiler tied for 14th at 2-over and sophomore Emilee Hoffman finished in a tie for 45th at 10-over.

Voelker led the tournament field in pars — 42 out of 54 holes — a mark of consistency that propelled her into the top 10. Her ninth-place finish was her best finish of the season.

“Agathe, Greta and Maddie had a strong week as well,” Murphy said. “Each of them is trending in a good direction and capable of winning. Lots of positives from each of them this week. Each of them will continue to do great things for us this year as we roll along.”

Texas looks to continue the momentum as it heads to Hawaii next week for the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational at Kanehoe Klipper Golf Course. Play starts March 13 and wraps up the following day.