Texas drops fourth straight in 13-4 loss to Arkansas

baseball_2018-02-22_Texas_v_Lamar_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Even with junior catcher DJ Petrinksy’s two home runs, Texas was crushed by the Arkansas Razorbacks Tuesday night.

After a Stanford series last weekend where Texas was routed three straight times, the Longhorns were expected to put up a decent fight against the Razorbacks in a two-game series in Fayetteville.

They’ll have to wait until at least one more game to put up that fight, as Texas fell to Arkansas, 13-4, in the first game of the series. Texas starting pitcher Beau Ridgeway recorded his first start and tried to regain some confidence after his recent struggles. But he was pulled during the third inning after giving up three runs. The pitching staff was never able to recover from its early pitfalls and struggled throughout the course of the night.

However, on the offensive side Texas brought in runs with one common theme: the long ball. Petrinksy finally hit the bombs he was looking for, and ended up with a pair. Redshirt freshman Zach Zubia also got a chance to jog the bases as his solo shot got Texas its first run of the ball game.

Texas, now 9–8, needs a win Wednesday night to stay above .500 for the season. There were high expectations for the Longhorns, but early season struggles against stiff competition have tempered those — at least temporarily.

Texas will play its second and final game of the series against Arkansas on Wednesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.