Four ways to fight the ‘Freshman Fifteen’ on campus

biking_2017-11-20_Bikers_Angie
Angie Huang

The thing people don’t tell you about college is that the Freshman Fifteen doesn’t end freshman year. In college it can be really difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle, especially in Austin where there are more tacos than there are people. Luckily, there are plenty of great workouts for UT students that will keep them on their toes and managing their weight.

Walking up the stairs from Speedway to the Tower while trying to pretend you aren’t winded.

Want a little extra umph to your workout? Pretend you can breathe normally after taking all of the stairs from south campus up to the Tower. Though it may not really benefit you physically, it’ll make you feel like you’ve done more work than you actually have. For an added bonus, attempt to have a conversation with someone as if that mountain of steps didn’t bother you at all.

Dodging Bikers on Speedway

There’s no better way to wake yourself up than throwing yourself out of the way of an aggressive student riding their bike down an overcrowded Speedway. Burn fat by constantly checking to make sure no one is about to mercilessly run you over. For a more intense workout, shock your body with some high intensity intervals by walking through the construction and attempting to dodge other students while also trying to move for a biker who doesn’t even seem to notice anyone is there.

Starting a conversation with a communications student

What’s the difference between running a marathon and making the mistake of asking a communications student a simple question? Trick question — they’re the same thing. By the end of the interaction, you won’t know if you’re more tired from listening to them babble on or from all of your attempts to end the conversation they just didn’t pick up on.

Going to Gregory only to become super self aware and end up walking on a treadmill for an hour

We all go to Gregory with the intent of working out. However, the creeping feeling of self-consciousness tends to take ahold as soon as you walk through the doors. You’re aware no one is judging you, but in the back of your mind there’s a voice telling you that you are definitely doing that squat wrong. You know the only thing you can’t mess up is walking at a steady pace on the treadmill until everyone who saw you come in has left.