Man arrested by UTPD, Harris County Sheriff after multiple terroristic threats made against UT

10-02-2017_Cop_Car_at_Stadium_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

The UT Police Department made an arrest Sunday morning in Crosby, Texas, with assistance from the Harris County Sheriff’s Office after terroristic threats were made against UT by Sean Haddon, according to a UTPD statement.

The arrest came after the UTPD Communications Center received a call on April 7 from a person who said he put a pipe bomb in the lobby of the police department and would blow up the building unless they received a bitcoin payment and the dispatcher’s participation in sexual acts, the statement said. UTPD searched the building’s security footage and found no suspicious activity or device.

UTPD then received another call on April 12 from the same person, who this time said he was going to shoot the dispatcher and told the dispatcher to perform sexual acts, the statement said.

Additionally, UTPD received a call on April 13 from UT’s Human Resource Service Center, where a supervisor reported being on the phone with a man who wanted to shoot up the University and kill at least 200 people, the statement said. A UTPD officer took over the man’s call to the Service Center and said it was the same person from the previous threats.

Following these violent threats, investigators contacted phone and internet service providers and determined the calls originated from Haddon, the statement said.

UTPD said each incident was investigated immediately and no active threat was determined that would have prompted campus-wide communications.

UTPD Chief David Carter will hold a press conference regarding these incidents today at 1 p.m.