Woman accused of Subway robberies plans to plead not guilty

subway_2018-02-21_Subway_Robbery_Nikita
Nikita Sveshnikov

The woman who was arrested in February in connection with multiple Subway robberies in West Campus appeared in Travis County Court on Tuesday and indicated that she plans to enter a plea of not guilty.

According to the Austin American-Statesman, Dietra Lee was arrested as a suspect on Feb. 8 for a robbery at the Subway on West Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and San Antonio Street.  Police said she is also tied to robberies committed at the Subway located in Dobie Mall on Jan. 19 and 22, and a robbery at the Subway located on 24th and San Antonio streets on Jan. 19, according to the Statesman.

“I was just on my way home (when I was picked up),” Lee said during her court appearance. “I’m not sure what’s going on. I don’t even look like the person (in the security tape video). We’re not even wearing the same clothes.”

According to an arrest affidavit, in three of the robberies, police say Lee bought two cookies and then handed a employee from the MLK Subway a note which said, “I have a gun. Give me the cash in the drawer. I’ll shoot.”

After the final robbery, APD officers brought Lee back to the Subway to be identified, according to the affidavit. Although the employee did not identify her as the suspect, Austin Police Department detectives reviewed surveillance videos and determined Lee to be the suspect from all four robberies, according to the Statesman.

In February, a Travis County grand jury indicted Lee on four counts of robbery by threat, according to the district clerk’s office. After her court appearance Tuesday, Lee’s attorney said she is not planning on accepting a plea bargain and plans to deny all involvement in the robberies at trial.

“I haven’t done anything wrong,” Lee said. “I was not at any of the locations. I was just (on my way to ride) the bus. I don’t even know why I was indicted.”