Kody Clemens forgoes senior season, signs with the Detroit Tigers

Clem12018-06-10-UT_v_TTU_Juan
Juan Figueroa

After years of memories at UFCU Disch-Falk Field, the Clemens pipeline has officially graduated from the Texas baseball program.

Texas junior second baseman Kody Clemens was drafted 79th overall by the Detroit Tigers in the third round of the 2018 MLB Draft. Clemens announced via Twitter he will sign his contract with the team Monday afternoon with an estimated $600,000 signing bonus attached to it, according to MLB.com’s Jim Callis.

The son of seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens leaves behind one of the more memorable careers in Longhorn baseball program, highlighted by a run to Omaha and being named one of four finalists for the Golden Spikes Award.

“The past 3 years at the University of Texas were the best 3 years of my life,” Clemens said in a tweet. “I fell in love with a city and I made friendships that will last forever.”

Clemens won the Texas triple crown this season, leading the team with a .351 batting average while hitting 24 home runs and driving in 71 RBI in addition to being named the 2018 Big 12 Player of the Year.

Clemens, one of the most polarizing figures Texas baseball has seen in decades, gifted Longhorn fans with the memories of a walk-off home run against TCU, four straight games with a home run in the postseason and numerous bat flips that left the Twitter-verse in a whirl. His most famous moment, however, came after flashing the ‘hook ’em’ sign at the Texas A&M dugout following a home run in the Longhorns’ 8-3 win in the Austin Regional.

“The decision was a lot harder than most people think,” Clemens said later in the tweet. “But I have decided to move forward with my baseball career and sign with the Detroit Tigers.”

Clemens finished his Twitter statement with: “To the fans, you guys packed the Disch and created the best atmosphere in College Baseball. Thank y’all. I will forever be a Longhorn and always know the HORNS GO UP!”

With Kody departing, the lineage of Clemens’ in the burnt orange and white has concluded for the time being. Beginning with his father Roger (1982-83), followed by his brother Kacy (2014-17) and ending with Kody (2016-18).

Kody will report to the Tigers organization later this summer.