University of Texas selected as 2021 women’s basketball regional host

%2A%2AWbasketball_2018-02-27_Texas_v
Anthony Mireles

The road to the 2021 women’s basketball NCAA championship will go through Austin, Texas Athletics announced in a press release on Wednesday afternoon.

The Austin area was one of four sites selected to host the 2021 regional round of the NCAA tournament, along with Albany, New York, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Spokane, Washington, which is set to take place between March 26–29.

After hosting an NCAA Championship-record 18 regional games at the Frank Erwin Center, the future host site will move just north to the HEB Center in Cedar Park.  

“We’re really excited that we’ve been chosen to host an NCAA Women’s Basketball Regional in 2021,” Texas vice president and athletics director Chris Del Conte said in a news release. “It will be a tremendous opportunity for our university and athletic department to be a part of a really special event and to celebrate basketball in our great city.”

The multi-purpose HEB Center serves home to the Texas Stars (AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars) and the Austin Spurs (NBA G League affiliate of the San Antonio Spurs).  

HEB Center general manager Sammy Wallace was eager for his well-equipped arena to host such an event.

"This is great news — we are honored that the NCAA has selected Austin and our world-class venue in the city of Cedar Park as a 2021 regional host,” Wallace said. “We look forward to working with UT athletics help make this an exciting and unforgettable championship experience for players, coaches, families and fans.”