College football update: Maryland head coach on administrative leave, Herman ‘accusations’ stir on social media

Herman_2017-12-27_Texas_Bowl_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Texas’ scrimmage concluded late Saturday morning. Then, the college football world got turned on its head — three weeks before the season kicks off.

Here’s the weekend update:

The Herman ‘accusations’

A couple of weeks have passed since Brett McMurphy posted a report on Facebook accusing Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer of knowing about domestic abuse allegations against his wide receivers coach, Zach Smith, back in 2015.

Smith wasn’t let go until July of this year and Meyer has since been placed on paid administrative leave.

Later that week, Texas head coach Tom Herman, who served as the offensive coordinator for the Buckeyes from 2012-2014, was asked if he was aware of any abuse during his time in Columbus.

“As you guys should know, I left the program after the 2014 season, and the things that occurred to my knowledge happened in late 2015,” Herman said during a news conference on Aug. 2. “So I really don’t think it would be fair or appropriate, to be honest with you, to comment about a situation at another program that happened while I wasn’t there.”

On Saturday, Jeff Snook, an independent reporter, posted this statement on Facebook:

“I have confirmed that Texas Coach Tom Herman was the tipster who initiated Brett McMurphy's reporting, which led to this investigation at Ohio State-details to follow.”

McMurphy quickly responded with a tweet saying, “For those who have asked for my response to Jeff Snook’s claim Saturday: “I have never revealed my sources in my nearly four decade journalistic career & I am not going to start now. However, I will say unequivocally that Tom Herman was not my source.”

Then, a local radio station in Columbus, Ohio, 105.7 The Zone, also tweeted: “We are also working to confirm an alleged $10k payment from Texas Coach Tom Herman and his wife to Courtney Smith, for legal fees. Calls to Courtney's attorney have not been returned.”

While Herman said he was never in communication with McMurphy regarding the Ohio State situation, he did admit to helping out Courtney Smith, the ex-wife of Zach Smith.

“In March of 2017, my wife assisted her friend Courtney Smith during a time of financial need,”  Herman told the Austin American-Statesman. “We have not provided any financial assistance since then.”

Herman has not spoke with the media since Saturday’s scrimmage, but is expected to be made available after practice at some point this week.

Maryland places head coach on administrative leave

On Friday, ESPN released a report noting that several people close to the football program, along with several players at the University of Maryland, have described a “toxic coaching culture” under head coach DJ Durkin ahead of the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair after a workout in June.

There is currently an investigation into the death of the 19-year-old taking place. A report is expected to be released on Sept. 15.

Maryland placed Durkin on administrative leave on Saturday afternoon, 21 days before Texas takes on the Terrapins at FedEx Field.

Maryland’s offensive coordinator, Matt Canada, will serve as the interim head coach.

Injury Update:

Texas football released an update on players who sustained injuries during the Longhorns’ scrimmage Saturday morning.

“Freshman linebacker Ayodele Adeoye (knee), senior defensive back Davante Davis (hamstring) and freshman defensive back DeMarvion Overshown (knee) sustained injuries in Saturday’s scrimmage,” Texas football said in a press release. “They are currently being treated and evaluated, and an update will be sent when we have more information.”