Offensive position battles continue

Pads_2018-08-05_TEXAS_FOOTBALL_PRACTICE_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Texas started preseason camp two weeks ago but there still aren’t any answers regarding the top quarterback — or top-three running backs.

After practice on Thursday, Herman said freshmen quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson are “in the mix” but it will be an uphill climb with how well sophomore Sam Ehlinger and junior Shane Buechele are practicing.

While the battle appears to be between the two experienced quarterbacks, Herman needs one thing to happen before he is ready to declare a starter.

“We need to have one guy be ahead for more than one day,” Herman said in a post-practice media availability. “They’ve both had their really, really good moments. They’ve both had some that you kind of shake your head at. Overall, it’s a really good thing. Both of them have pushed each other to where they are both playing at a level that I haven’t seen either of them play.”

Herman said now he just needs one of them to string together a few back-to-back practices before he is ready to announce a starter.

The running back battle isn’t quite as simple. The D’Onta Foreman days were a much simpler time. Since his departure two years ago, Texas hasn’t even flirted with the idea of naming one dominant back.

Between sophomores Daniel Young and Toneil Carter, graduate transfer Tre Watson and freshman Keaontay Ingram, Herman will have a tough time naming one guy. In fact, he probably won’t have to.

“We don’t have a D’Onta Foreman just yet. He rushed for 2000 yards,” Herman said. “We do have some developed talent in there. …You can’t play seven of them but we will probably play at least three guys throughout the course of the ball game.”

A source close to the program says Young, Carter and Watson have all split reps while Ingram has seen the field as well. Expect to see a few variations of these backs once the season begins.

Texas will have another scrimmage on Saturday. After that, Texas will shift its sights on the season opener and begin game prep for Maryland, which will include the first official depth chart of the year.

“Most of the two-deep will be set after the scrimmage,” Herman said. “ We’ve got to prepare to win a game on Sunday. We’ve got to know who the guys are that we are able to do that with.”

Texas returns to practice on Friday and will hold a media availability after the Longhorns’ scrimmage on Saturday.