Longhorn sophomores Curtis, Fitzgerald leave football program

DKR_1127_2016-07-22_DKR_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

A pair of Texas football players from the 2016 recruiting class announced they are leaving the program Thursday.

Sophomore wide receiver Davion Curtis was redshirted his freshman year and then appeared in one game last season.

Curtis’ statement, per Texas Sports:

“After a lot of thought and prayer and talking things through with my family, I’ve made the decision to transfer from The University of Texas. It was a very tough decision because of how much this team means to me, but getting a new start is something I felt like I needed to do for my future. I love my teammates like my brothers, have made a lot of memories with them and I’m always going to be pulling for them. I want to thank coach Herman, coach Mehringer, coach Meekins and all of the staff for coaching me and helping me grow as a person. I also want to thank coach Strong and coach Traylor for giving me the opportunity to come to Texas. My path is leading me in a different direction, but I’ll always be a Longhorn.”

Curtis is transferring to Tyler Junior College, per the Austin American-Statesman.

While unexpected, Curtis’ move makes sense for the Temple native after a highly crowded group of talented receivers emerged during fall camp.

Just hours after Curtis officially announced his departure from the team, a team spokesman said that sophomore defensive end Andrew Fitzgerald decided to no longer play football.

Fitzgerald’s statement:

“My chapter here as a part of the UT football program has come to a close. It was an experience I will remember forever. I am so grateful for all the blessings and opportunities the Lord has given me to grow and learn from while I’ve been here. My family has been with me and encouraged me along this journey. I want to thank all the staff who are a part of this program for all they have done for me spiritually, academically and athletically. I want to thank coach strong for giving me the opportunity to play and go to school at one of the best universities there is, and also coach Herman and coach Giles for teaching me things I will carry with me the rest of my life, whether it’s on the field or off. To my teammates who I worked day in and day out with, I wish y’all the best this season and have nothing but good memories and love for y’all.”

Fitzgerald spent the 2016 season as a redshirt and did not appear in a game last season.

The Flower Mound native will remain a student at the University despite his departure from the football team.

Curtis and Fitzgerald are the third and fourth players within the last two weeks to announce their intentions to leave the program after senior defensive back John Bonney left for Texas Tech and sophomore defensive back Eric Cuffee transferred to Trinity Valley Community College.