UT Financial Aid Office warns student about email scam

Editor's note: This story has been updated with additional comment from the University.

The University Financial Aid Office sent out a tweet on Sept. 4 warning students about an email scam targeting UT students.

The scam email has the subject line “Updated billing statement issued,” and it encourages students to visit the student portal to pay their bill.

“If you receive an email like this, DO NOT click on anything in the email, and DO NOT share any personal information,” the UT Financial Office said in a tweet.

Cam Beasley, chief information security officer, said no students have received any emails with this subject line in the past 30 days, but that scams like these are common for this time of year.

“These ‘financial aid’ scams targeting students tend to have seasonal upticks in activity,” Beasley said. “They typically entice students to login to a bogus site that looks like their university’s site for claiming financial aid, allowing the attackers to reroute assets to another bank account that they control.”

Beasley encouraged students to be vigilant and skeptical of e-mails they are not expecting or those that urge students to take immediate action.

“The University’s various email defenses are effective against a large number of these attacks with about 95 percent of inbound mail being discarded as spam or malicious each day,” Beasley said.