Texas defeats Houston Baptist amidst poor weather, remains undefeated

Haley_Berg_2018-08-31_womens_soccer_vs_long_Beach_State18742
Anthony Mireles

On a damp Sunday evening at Mike A. Myers Stadium, No. 18 Texas defeated Houston Baptist University 4-0 to remain undefeated for the season. Despite poor conditions, Texas pulled away with yet another dominant performance.

“For (the field) being a little bit slicker, everyone handled it well,” senior Katie Glenn said.

Texas out-shot Houston Baptist 21-2 and 13-2 in shots on goal. Outstanding play from three midfielders ­­­– Glenn, freshman Julia Grosso and senior Kayra Dollas – allowed the Longhorns to put constant pressure on Houston Baptist’s back line.

With Houston Baptist’s defense keeping the score deadlocked at 0-0, it was the 36th minute that saw the Longhorns begin their scoring affair.

Senior midfielder Amber Stearns put the ball into the back of the net off of a beautiful cross from fellow senior Chelsea Surpris to finally put Texas out in front. Texas continued to put pressure on HBU and extended their lead before the end of the first half. Just five minutes after the opening goal, the ball found the net off the foot of Glenn after receiving a cross from sophomore Tecora Turner.

“Tecora played a great ball to me, so I’ll give a lot of credit to her,” Glenn said after the game. “She’s a beast out there. I was just trying to put it away for my team.”

After Sunday’s performance, the senior has either scored or assisted in Texas’ last three games.

“I love to help out anyway I can,” Glenn said. “I love to assist. I love to see my teammates score. I love to put the ball in the net, too, so anyway I can help the team.”

The second half was no different than the first. Houston Baptist struggled to make opportunities while Texas continued to put pressure on HBU goalkeeper Alanis Guevara.

At the 55-minute mark, sophomore forward Haley Berg extended Texas’ lead after finishing off a deflection from eight yards out.

Senior forward Alexa Adams then scored the fourth and final goal at the 68-minute mark. After Glenn’s shot was blocked by a Houston Baptist defender, Adams, being in the right place at the right time, volleyed the ball for the score.

Junior goalkeeper Nicole Curry recorded her 13th career shutout and for the first time all season, four different UT players recorded a goal.

“It was fun seeing four different people score goals,” Berg said. “I thought that was really great today.”

With less than 15 minutes remaining in the match, Texas head coach Angela Kelly cleared the bench, substituting all her starters. Regardless of who was playing, the level of dominance sustained. Coach Kelly’s squad featured 25 players — something they haven’t done all season.

“The depth is phenomenal,” Kelly said. “They play against all these players every single day in training so if our starting 11 looks in sync, it’s due to the fact of who they’re training against.”

Texas will look to keep their undefeated streak alive as they take on UTRGV at Mike A. Myers Stadium at 6 p.m. on Friday.