Big 12 Notebook: Oklahoma on top, TCU faces its toughest test

Big_12_Notebook_2017-10-15_UT_v_OU_Football_Juan
Juan Figueroa

A lot happened over the weekend in one of the most explosive conferences in the country. Here’s how some of the top teams in the Big 12 fared last weekend:

Oklahoma

Last year’s conference champion blew out UCLA, 49–21. Although UCLA is in the process of rebuilding after hiring head coach Chip Kelly, Oklahoma took full advantage of its opponent and added another tally to the win column. So far this season, the Sooners have put up a combined 112 points in two games. Their offense is one of most potent in the nation with a plethora of weapons at their disposal. Head coach Lincoln Riley’s team sits at No. 5 in the nation following their
dominating performance.

The Sooners have not missed a beat since last year. Most of their success can be attributed to junior quarterback Kyler Murray, who is already under contract for the Oakland A’s as an outfielder. Murray has given Oklahoma an added spark on offense due to his mobility and elusiveness.

West Virginia  

The Mountaineers are looking like a well-oiled machine led by senior quarterback and Heisman candidate Will Grier. West Virginia jumped to No. 14 in the polls this week after lighting up the scoreboard against Youngstown State, 52–17. While the Mountaineers still have to play TCU and Oklahoma in the final weeks of the regular season, they could be a dark horse to win the Big 12 championship if they can go into those games
with momentum.

Unfortunately, the Mountaineers’ strong start will be put on hold this week as their road matchup against NC State was cancelled due to the arrival of Hurricane Florence. The game is yet to be rescheduled.

TCU

Despite handling their business against SMU, the Horned Frogs dropped below West
Virginia to No. 15 in the AP poll. TCU will have its shot this week to show the country that they are a legitimate force to be reckoned with as No. 4 Ohio State travels to Fort Worth without head coach Urban Meyer, who is serving a three-game suspension for his mishandling of domestic abuse allegations within the program during 2015.

Even without its head coach, Ohio State still has the talent to compete with and even embarrass any team in the country. TCU will have its hands full in its first real test of the season.

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State has quietly jumped into the top 25 with all eyes on its in-state rival, Oklahoma. They defeated South Alabama last weekend, 55-13, one week after clobbering
Missouri State.

The Cowboys enter the weekend at No. 24 in the AP Poll. Just like their conference counterparts, they also have a chip on their shoulders. Oklahoma State is out to prove that the Big 12 isn’t just a three team race. Luckily for them, they have a golden opportunity this weekend as No. 17 Boise State pays a visit to Stillwater.

Oklahoma State has put over 50 points on the scoreboard in its first two games this season. The expectation is that after Saturday, that streak will be up to three. The Big 12 is known for offense and OSU is committed to making sure the conference gets its recognition.