Two of college football’s historic powers collide again this Saturday

DC3_VINCEYOUNG_0915_GeoCasillas_VinceYoung
Geo Casillas

While many debate what it takes to be considered a top-tier program in college football, it’s safe to say that USC and Texas have both earned a spot at the table.

Both programs began over 125 years ago and have, over time, matured into two of the best schools in college football. There are more than enough numbers to back that up.

Texas

1893 — The first official Longhorn football team takes the field.

Texas currently ranks 5th all time in winning percentage at 70.5 percent (899–367–33). 

The Longhorns also hold the advantage over the Trojans in the all-time wins category. Ranking 3rd all time, the Longhorns come into their matchup with USC hoping to secure win No. 900.

Texas has brought four national titles to the 40 Acres (1963, 1969, 1970, 2005), with the most recent being a 41-38
victory over USC in the Rose Bowl.

Though the landscape of college football has changed frequently over the last few decades, the Longhorns have won 30 conference championships.

In the category of the most illustrious individual award in college football, Texas running backs Earl Campbell (1977) and Ricky Williams (1998) are the only players to have lifted the Heisman Trophy. Williams’ campaign was one of the best individual seasons in history as he ran for 2,124 yards and 27 touchdowns while setting 21 NCAA records at the time. Campbell rushed for 1,744 yards and 19 touchdowns, leading the nation in scoring.

While winning the Heisman is nice, the ultimate goal for many college football players is reaching the NFL. Texas has consistently sent prospects to the next level and ranks 11th with 342 draftees.

USC

1888 — USC incorporates its first official football team.

As for the Trojans, their 835 wins in school history are good enough for 9th all time.

The Trojans rank right behind the Longhorns in the all-time winning percentage rankings at 70.1 percent (835–340–54). Though USC is not creeping up on the 900-win plateau, its history of winning games has never squandered. Its 835 victories are good for 9th all time.

Despite the Longhorns having racked up more all-time victories, the Trojans hold a significant edge in the national championship category. Only three schools in the nation have hoisted the trophy more than USC. With 11 national championships (1928, 1931, 1932, 1939, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978, 2003, 2004), it’s easy to see why the Trojans are regarded so highly.

The Trojans have earned 39 conference championship trophies over the history of their program.

The collective success of the Trojans’ individual accolades is on par with some of the best programs in history. Because Reggie Bush’s 2005 Heisman Trophy was vacated from the record books, USC ties for second with the Oklahoma Sooners for the most Heisman-winning players. Quarterback Carson Palmer (2002) and his successor, Matt Leinart (2004), defined the Trojans’ success for much of that decade while Mike Garrett (1965), O.J. Simpson (1968), Charles White (1979) and Marcus Allen (1981) have also won the award for USC.

No other program has had more success with hearing its players’ names called in the NFL Draft than USC with a whopping 506 Trojans having been selected — the most of any program in the nation.