Sooners, Cowboys take top spots in Big 12 power rankings

Through three weeks, we've seen Oklahoma and Oklahoma State dominate their respective matchups, but a variety of matchups with high implications take place this weekend, leaving some of the top spots potentially up for grabs.

Heading into Week Four, here are the Big 12 power rankings:

No. 1, Oklahoma 

You would think losing the reigning Heisman Trophy winner would cause any offense to regress, however that hasn’t been the case this year. The Sooners are undoubtedly the top team in the Big 12 Conference right now, averaging almost 49 points per game and 551 yards per game so far through the first three games this season.

No. 2, Oklahoma State 

Losing quarterback Mason Rudolph, the 2017 Biletnikoff Award winner James Washington and Mike Gundy’s mullet has done anything but slow down the Oklahoma State offense this season. The Cowboys are averaging an absurd 590 yards per game and are coming off of a 44-21 beatdown of then-No. 17 Boise State in Stillwater.

No. 3, West Virginia

Hurricane Florence left Will Grier’s Heisman campaign on hold as the Mountaineers matchup against NC State was canceled this weekend. Currently ranked No. 12 in this week’s AP Top 25, West Virginia has a big task ahead with a matchup against Kansas State.

No. 4, TCU 

Take away a fluke pick-six on a shovel pass, and TCU’s loss to No. 4 Ohio State likely ends in a different result. The Horned Frog defense held the Buckeyes to their lowest offensive output of the season and display some of the fastest players in the conference.

No. 5, Texas 

Any win should be celebrated, especially one over the USC Trojans. However make no mistake, this USC team was not very good. Regardless, Texas’ defense was phenomenal, holding the Trojans to -5 rushing yards and not allowing a point in the final three quarters.

No. 6, Texas Tech 

The Texas Tech Red Raiders with a top ranked offense? Where have we seen that before? The Red Raiders’ offense is currently ranked first in the nation in total offense and has scored 140 points in the last two weeks. Tech is coming off of a 63-49 win against Houston, but the Red Raiders will likely have another shootout this weekend against Oklahoma State.

No. 7, Kansas State 

It’s been an underwhelming start to the season for Kansas State. Coming off of a loss to Mississippi State, the Wildcats took care of business against UTSA. However, they have yet to provide a reason to suspect the matchup against No. 12 West Virginia this weekend will go in their favor.

No. 8, Baylor 

Baylor eclipsed their 2017 win total two weeks into the season, but a loss to Duke in Week Three is concerning. The Bears went into halftime down 23-0. Early deficits in the Big 12 are a recipe for another disastrous season in Waco.

No. 9, Kansas 

We’re just three weeks into the season, and Kansas has a winning record! Granted, the Jayhawks beat Rutgers last weekend. Regardless, head coach David Beaty is moving Kansas in the right direction to get the team out of the Big 12 cellar.

No. 10, Iowa State 

Surprisingly, the Cyclones are the only winless team in the Big 12. Although Iowa State kept it close against the Sooners for the majority of last weekend’s game, moral victories do not apply in power rankings. The Cyclones are a talented team and should earn a notch in the win column this weekend against Akron.