D’Shawn Jamison named Big 12 special teams player of the week

Texas is beginning to make some noise within the Big 12 after locking up their fourth consecutive victory against Kansas State on Saturday. And for the third straight week, the conference honored a Longhorn for their performance on the field.

True freshman wide receiver D’Shawn Jamison was named the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week following a 90-yard punt return for a touchdown midway through the first quarter of Saturday’s win.

In addition to Jamison, linebacker Gary Johnson was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week for his play against USC, and freshman Caden Sterns was dubbed the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week following the TCU game.

The touchdown for Jamison was the first punt returned for a touchdown since former Longhorn Reggie Hemphill-Mapps returned one in the season opener against Maryland last season.

Throughout fall camp, Jamison began building a lot of hype as one of the nation’s best returners following a stellar career at Lamar High School in Houston, where he found the endzone five times on returns during his senior year.

Texas’ all-time record for most punt returns for touchdowns in a career is three, which is currently held by Jordan Shipley, Aaron Ross and Jim Moore. With one touchdown already under his belt in his fifth appearance, it isn’t far-fetched to think Jamison could potentially find his name in discussions with the Longhorns’ all-time great returners.