Play Safe Post provides discreet safe sex supplies delivery service to student dorms

healthy
Ella Williams

Students can now order a diverse array of free safe sex supplies through the Healthyhorns Play Safe Post.

The Play Safe Post is a safe sex delivery service run by the Office of Health Promotion at University Health Services and the Counseling and Mental Health Center. The service delivers to all on-campus residence halls and expanded this fall to offer a wider variety of safe sex supplies, including latex-free options and dental dams. 

Last month, the service delivered 1,284 total safe sex supplies, said Brittany O’Malley, assistant director for prevention and wellness at UHS.

“Already we’ve seen with this pilot and offering these different options, people are taking advantage of what we’re offering through Play Safe Post,” O’Malley said.

The orders are placed online then delivered on Thursdays in plain white envelopes. Student identities are kept anonymous to ensure privacy. The Office of Health Promotion wanted to remove as many barriers as possible to students getting safe sex supplies, O’Malley said.

“This allows a personal way to get this delivery in a way that isn’t necessarily having to walk up to a counter or have to ask for them,” O’Malley said.

The Play Safe Post program started operating in fall 2016, and has been expanding its services every year since by adding delivery locations.

Other safe sex resources on campus include the Gender and Sexuality Center, the Center for Multicultural Engagement and The Center for Students in Recovery. The Gender and Sexuality Center collaborates with the Office of Health Promotion and Austin-based centers such as the Austin Q to get condoms and dental dams to students, Gender and Sexuality Center Director Liz Elsen said in a statement. Student organizations such as UT Students for Planned Parenthood also provide similar resources, but the Play Safe Post is the only safe sex delivery service on campus. 

The Play Safe Post offers a permanent service for students that need the supplies, said Ashely Deñó, campus campaign manager for UT Students for Planned Parenthood.

“I think it’s so efficient that they’re available to them every week and all they have to do is fill out a form,” said Deñó, African and African diaspora studies and youth and community studies senior.

Computer science freshman Jeffery Gordon said the service is practical and aligns with student interest.

“It’s always good to be safe and it seems like a very efficient and easy way of being safe,” Gordon said.