Women’s Swimming crushes ranked opponents to open season

The No. 4 Texas women’s swimming and diving team opened their 2018-19 campaign by handily beating No. 6 Indiana and No. 19 Florida to extend their dual-meet winning streak to 15, which dates back to the 2016-17 season.

Texas handled both opponents, delivering a 201-147 defeat to the Hoosiers and a 222-126 drubbing to the Gators.

The Longhorns picked up wins across the board, with Joanna Evans, Claire Adams and Julia Cook recording wins in multiple events. Evans, a 5-foot-11-inch senior who represented the Bahamas at the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil, won the 200 freestyle and had a NCAA B time of 1:47.07 while also winning the 1000 freestyle with a time of 9:50.81 as well as the 500 freestyle with another NCAA B time of 4:45.58.

Adams, an 8-time All-American junior out of Carmel, Indiana, dominated the 100 backstroke with a NCAA B time of 53.52 seconds, and was part of the 200 freestyle relay team that also included freshman Grace Ariola, senior Anelise Diener and freshman Julia Cook with a time of 1:30.73.

Cook, a newcomer to Texas as a freshman, took home the 50 freestyle with a NCAA B time of 22.72, the 100 freestyle with a NCAA B time of 49.34, and was a part of the first-place 200 freestyle relay.

The Longhorns opened up last season in a similar fashion, as Texas took the victory 226.5-200.5 over Indiana, and walloped Florida 290.5-136.5.

Texas got off to a strong start with the victories, building on the top-6 finish at the 2018 NCAA Championships. Cook and Ariola both shined in their Texas Women’s Swimming and Diving team debuts, while Adams built upon her “A” finalist status from last year’s championships with a strong showing.

Florida came in ranked in the top 20 after impressive roads wins to open the season. The Gators traveled within their own home state and took down Florida Atlantic, Miami, and Florida Gulf Coast. They also brought out a great win against Southeastern Conference rival LSU.

Meanwhile, Indiana came in just two spots back of the Longhorns, led by Lilly King, who had won every 100 and 200 breaststroke event in the Hoosiers’ first three meets of the season.

The Longhorns had contributions from experienced members as well. Three-time All-American senior Remedy Rule swam her fourth-fastest 200 fly this year with a time of 1:56.60, while All-American senior Quinn Carrozza notched a top-five time with a 1:55.99 in the 200 backstroke.

Up next, the Longhorns will take on the Texas A&M Aggies on Nov. 2 at 6:00 p.m. in the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center.