Hey, Curious Campus: It’s election season. Who are the local candidates on the ballot?

twitter_curiousCampus
Rena Li

From the race for U.S Senate to the race for Texas governor, statewide elections have captured the attention of people around Texas for months.

But along with the races at the top of the ballot, dozens of other candidates are running to represent Texans at the federal, state and local level.

So, when one of our readers asked us, “Who are the local candidates on the ballot?” we looked into it as part of Curious Campus, our series where we answer reader-submitted questions every week.

Here are the Daily Texan’s profiles on some of the candidates for local races for U.S House, Texas House, Austin City Council and Mayor:

Candidates for U.S. House District 21

Democrat Joseph Kopser and Republican Chip Roy are running for the U.S House seat in District 21, which includes all of West Campus and the majority of downtown Austin. The seat is currently occupied by Congressman Lamar Smith.

Kopser said he wants to make sure college students can support themselves after graduation. Roy said he hopes to draw on his past experience and fix what is broken in Washington.

Candidates for U.S. House District 35

Incumbent Democrat Lloyd Doggett and Republican David Smalling are running for the U.S House seat in District 35, which includes East Austin.

Doggett said he plans on continuing supporting public schools and reducing the cost of college education. Smalling said he is in favor of setting term limits and age requirements for legislators.

Candidates for Texas House – District 49

Incumbent Democrat Gina Hinojosa and Republican Kyle Austin are running for the Texas House seat in District 49, which includes all of UT’s main campus and West Campus.

Hinojosa said she is focusing on efforts to bring living-wage jobs to Texas and stopping the push for permitless carry. Austin’s main goals are full legalization of marijuana and privatization of all public education.

Candidates for Texas House – District 46

Republican Gabriel Nila and Democrat Sheryl Cole are running for the Texas House seat in District 46, which includes a large portion of Austin east of I-35. The seat is currently occupied by state Rep. Dawnna Dukes, who was unseated after losing the primary to Cole.

Nila is campaigning on decriminalizing marijuana and putting a stop to gentrification in East Austin. Cole wants to improve the state’s public education system and protect women’s reproductive rights.

Candidates for Austin City Council – District 9

Incumbent Kathie Tovo, Danielle Skidmore and Linda O’Neal are running for the Texas House seat in District 49, which includes all of UT’s main campus, West Campus and Hyde Park.

Tovo said she is planning on preserving existing housing and keeping it affordable for current residents. Skidmore said she wants to make Austin’s transportation system more efficient. O’Neal is campaigning on making Austin more affordable and make the city government more transparent.

Candidates for Mayor

Incumbent Mayor Adler, Laura Morrison, Travis Duncan, Alex Strenger, Todd Phelps and Alan Pease are running for mayor of Austin.

Adler is focused on continuing the Austin City Council’s advancements in Austin affordability, transportation and equity. Morrison said she is convinced Austin is heading in the wrong direction and wants to improve affordability and mobility. Duncan said he wants to implement community volunteering and organic community farming.

Strenger is working on creating affordable housing, reducing traffic and improving police training. Phelps said he wants to support local business and provide property tax relief to homeowners. Pease said he wants convert city-owned land into affordable housing and embrace new modes of transportation.