Republicans maintain hold of statewide positions

Dan_Patrick2016-03-01_Ted_Cruz_Super_Tuesday_Rachel
Rachel Zein

Republican incumbents kept their seats in the six statewide non-judicial positions that were up for re-election this Tuesday.

Some of the positions up for re-election this season included the lieutenant governor, who presides over the State Senate, and the attorney general, who represents Texas in civil litigation.

Republican incumbent Dan Patrick defeated Democratic opponent Mike Collier in his bid for re-election to lieutenant governor, the second-highest executive position in Texas.

“Why are we here? To tell Beto O’Rourke and the Democrats, we’re not turning Texas into California. Not on our watch. Not now, not ever,” Patrick said at a rally, according to the Austin American-Statesman. “We love Trump!”

After a close race, and despite two felony indictments, Republican incumbent Ken Paxton will also serve another four years as Texas Attorney General, beating Democratic opponent Justin Nelson, a UT law professor.

“It’s a great honor to serve as your attorney general,” Paxton said on Twitter Tuesday night. “Thank you, Texas!”

Nelson spoke at the Travis County Democrats election watch party Tuesday about his concession to Paxton.

“We came close tonight, but we came a little short,” Nelson said. “I hope we paved the way bringing Texas back to the common sense and pragmatism that defines Texas.”

The other four races are comptroller, agriculture commissioner, land commissioner and railroad commissioners.

Glenn Hegar was re-elected as comptroller, who supervises the state treasury. Sid Miller will continue his role as agriculture commissioner overseeing Texas food production.

George P. Bush was re-elected to his role as land commissioner, which manages Texas mineral rights and distributed Hurricane Harvey relief money.

Finally, Christi Craddick will continue her work as railroad commissioner, in charge of Texas’ oil and gas industry.

Travis County voted Democrat across the ballot. Despite overall losses, Travis County Democrats said they remain hopeful for the future.

“You are the future,” said Dyana Limon-Mercado, Travis County Democratic Party Chair. “You are the future of Texas, and Texas is the future of the Democrat party.”