Zumba takes over Gregory Gym Plaza

outdoor_voices_rec_sports_2019-02-07_OV+Zumba_Saba
Saba Rahimian

Outdoor Voices and UT RecSports teamed up Wednesday afternoon in an effort to get students active by hosting an outdoor Zumba class followed by complimentary pizza. 

Students were invited to come out and join Tyler Haney, founder of athletic clothing company Outdoor Voices, and the rest of her team at the Gregory Gym Plaza to sweat off their midweek stress with a dance workout. 

“At (Outdoor Voices) we are freeing fitness from performance and bringing back the feeling of recess to your adult lives” said Macy Boe, Outdoor Voices field marketing manager. “We embrace play, curiosity and fun, and OV is building the resource for recreation and we believe in #DoingThings.”

Zumba is a fitness program that blends energetic Latin music with dance and aerobic exercise. Some dance styles that are commonly practiced in Zumba include merengue, flamenco and salsa, all of which have Latin roots. From sets of squats to arm rotations to shuffling back and forth, students were engaged in fast-paced exercise that lasted from about 5 to 6 p.m. Students filled up Gregory Plaza, which was decorated with bright signs that read “Hook ‘em” and “Endorphins make you happy.”

More than 200 people attended the event. The first 100 participants were able to get their hands on a limited edition orange Outdoor Voices hat which had the words “Doing Things” written on the front. Those who arrived a little later were able to pick up the same hat but in blue.

“We are an active wear brand on a mission to get the world moving,” Boe said. “Our community inspires us and shows us how they are doing things.”

Outdoor Voices volunteer Inaki Lopez invited students passing by to join the class and said working out releases endorphins that can help students relax.

“It’s a good way to get your mind off schoolwork for a good bit with good people,” Lopez said. “Maybe they can leave knowing someone they didn’t know when they got here, have someone to work out with.”

Aerospace engineering sophomore Samantha Garcia said she had not done Zumba in a very long time but decided to give the event a try. 

“What was different was I did it with my friends, and it was kind of unexpected,” said Garcia, “I would definitely do it again.”