Massive 2nd inning moves Longhorns to 2–0

shugart_2018-02-19_Baseball_UT_vs_Louisiana_Katie
Katie Bauer

The number two. That was the theme of Saturday’s 6-5 win for the Texas Longhorns over Louisiana.

The second game of the season resulted with the Longhorns earning their second victory thanks to a massive two-out rally in the second inning.

In that second inning, a two-out walk by catcher Michael McCann ignited a ferocious scoring effort by the Longhorns. Freshman Lance Ford doubled right after to score McCann. Shortstop Bryce Reagan singled to drive in Ford, then outfielders Eric Kennedy and Austin Todd each doubled in a run to conclude a five-run inning.

But the comfort that a five-run inning normally brings to a team was quickly erased after pitcher Blair Henley allowed four runs in the bottom of the second inning. The Ragin’ Cajuns rallied behind three doubles, two singles and a hit by pitch to essentially erase the five-run lead.

The 5-4 score held for the next four innings until third baseman Ryan Reynolds added an insurance run for the Longhorns with a solo homerun in the top of the seventh inning.

The Longhorns bullpen was phenomenal for the final seven innings of the game after replacing Henley. Cole Quintanilla tossed 2.2 shutout innings, Tristan Stevens added 1.1 scoreless innings right after and Owen Meaney added two scoreless outs to his Longhorn debut, as well. Nico O’Donnell collected the final seven outs of the game and was credited with the save.

Despite just two games being played so far, the importance of the freshman class has been on full display for the Longhorns. The freshman trio of Reagan, Kennedy and Ford combined for five hits, two walks, three runs batted in, and three runs scored.

The series concludes Sunday at 1:00 p.m. with the Longhorns looking for a series sweep of the Ragin’ Cajuns.