Bumble grows in popularity through brand ambassadors, events near campus

bumble_2018-03-26_Round_Up_Jamie
Jamie Powers

University campuses are buzzing with dating app users and UT is no different. Bumble, an Austin-based social and dating app, launched in 2014 and has become increasingly popular through recruiting student brand ambassadors and sponsoring events near campus.

Samantha Fulgham, Bumble’s chief creative marketing officer, said college-aged students make up a large part of Bumble’s audience because many are looking to make connections when they get to new cities.

“Bumble can be an incredible tool for college students to meet someone,” Fulgham said in an email. “Bumble has users across all age groups, and college-aged students definitely make up an integral part of our entire community.”

As their number of brand ambassadors, also called Bumble Honeys, continues to increase at UT and across the country, so has the number of students interested in promoting the brand. Since the college ambassador program launched in 2014, Fulgham said their marketing efforts have grown beyond just college campuses. 

“The ambassador program has grown from the ‘Bumble Honey’ college ambassador program into one that also includes a ‘Queen Bee’ city community building and the postgraduate ‘Local Bee’ ambassador program,” Fulgham said in an email.

Delaney Petermann, a supply chain management sophomore, said many girls apply to become brand ambassadors for Bumble because social media influencing is trendy.

“I definitely think they are making it seem like promoting Bumble is the cool thing to do,” Petermann said. “I feel like it really hit off spring semester of last year. Fall semester it wasn’t around a whole lot and all of the sudden it was everywhere.”

During last year’s RoundUp, an annual social event hosted by UT’s Interfraternity Council, Bumble sponsored various parties.

“Usually at the parties I’ve been to they give away gear,” Petermann said. “People will wear those headbands and bandanas and stuff, and their logo is also stamped on the cups and wristbands for the party.”

Fulgham said the company will get involved in various well-known events around campus such as RoundUp to promote their brand.

“In addition to sponsoring various parties, we offered safe rides for students to get around campus,” Fulgham said. “Bumble is excited to continue its presence at RoundUp and we are currently in the midst of planning fun (activities) for this year.”

Law student Rowan St. John said he has seen Bumble advertisements around campus and decided to download the app after a friend recommended it. He said because women have to message first, Bumble stands out from other dating apps.

“I think it empowers women to take the first step,” St. John said. “I think there are some statistics behind it that say there’s a better chance of actually getting a date if the girl reaches out first, so if that’s your objective to actually meet the person, I can see its benefit.”