Texas guard Kerwin Roach II suspended indefinitely

Kerwin_Roach_Layup_2018-02-24_Texas_v_OSU_Angela
Angela Wang

Texas shooting guard Kerwin Roach II has been suspended for a violation of team rules, a Texas spokesperson confirmed Friday morning.

The indefinite suspension means Roach will miss Saturday’s road game against Oklahoma and potentially the remainder of Texas’ five-game regular season.

The suspension was first reported by 247Sports’ Chip Brown on Thursday evening, but could not be confirmed by the school until Friday.

Roach, the Longhorns’ per game leader in points (15.0) and steals (1.3), served a suspension for a violation of team rules to start the 2018–19 season. The senior was held out of two scrimmages and just one game, the Nov. 6 opener versus Eastern Illinois, before returning to the lineup against Arkansas. The specific basis behind either suspension has yet to be revealed.

Roach posted a statement on Twitter following his suspension in November:

“I want to accept full responsibility and accountability for my actions. I made a mistake and want to own up to it and learn from it. It is my senior year and this is not how I planned on setting an example for my team. I am a work in progress and every day I am working hard to improve myself and those around me.”

It is unknown whether or not the suspension announced Friday is connected to Roach’s previous one.

pic.twitter.com/OJdp1QJ03j

— Kerwin Roach II (@KLR_doce) October 27, 2018

The Longhorns will likely proceed with Jase Febres or Elijah Mitrou-Long as one of the starting shooting guards to replace Roach in Norman this Saturday. Roach has been vital to Texas’ newfound success (4–2 in last six outings), leading the team in scoring in four of the five most recent games. With Roach out of the lineup, power forward Dylan Osetkowski will be the only senior on the hardwood when Texas challenges Oklahoma.