Loss to UIW continues Texas’ fall

HIBBELER_2019-03-17_Texas_v_Texas_Tech_University_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

Texas had an opportunity Tuesday night to get back to winning ways with a meeting in San Antonio with the University of Incarnate Word.

They failed.

The Cardinals from Incarnate Word defeated Texas 3-2, handing Texas its second straight loss and its fourth loss in the last six games.

“It was a good baseball game,” head coach David Pierce said in his post game interview with Texas Sports. “They earned their first two (runs). We probably gave them the third (run), but at the same time that’s a very solid team.”

Pierce trotted out starting pitcher Ty Madden for his first appearance since March 17, after battling a minor shoulder injury.

The return to the mound for Madden went anything but smoothly. Facing just six batters, Madden recorded two outs, allowed four hits and allowed one Cardinal to score before being pulled.

Texas was able to keep the game close due to the performances by pitchers Matteo Bocchi and Matt Whelan, who combined for 6.1 innings pitched and just one run allowed.

With Texas down 3–2 in the ninth inning with one out and a runner on base, Texas shortstop Masen Hibbeler hit a deep fly ball to left field that was just inches short of serving as the go-ahead two-run home run.

“(Masen Hibbeler) absolutely crushed that ball,” said Pierce. “That ball gets out of our park just about every single day. I mean, it was absolutely crushed.”

Instead, Hibbeler’s deep fly ball was the second out of the inning, and after a Tate Shaw strikeout, the Longhorns’ fate was sealed.

The Longhorns had a series of hard hit balls that just were not lucky enough to find the plush green grass of Nelson Wolff Municipal Stadium, and as a result, the rally needed to manufacture the game’s tying run never came.

“We had some hard hit balls late (in the game),” said Pierce. “Ryan Reynolds, with a runner in scoring position, (hit a) line drive to first base. So, I mean, that one you have to tip your cap to them, they played really well.”

The tough stretch over the past week combined with tonight’s loss sends the Longhorns to 17–11 on the season, with a conference record of 3–3.

Whether the team is playing well or not, the only stat that matters still remains unchanged: wins.

The Longhorns will return to Austin for the first time in over a week this Friday to begin a three-game series against Xavier with first pitch currently set for 7 p.m. 

If there was ever a place for Texas to get back on track, it would be at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. The Longhorns are currently 12–4 on the turf in Austin, and a good weekend would work wonders with Big 12 play set to resume the weekend after.