Longhorns ‘in survival mode’ as slump continues

ELDER_2019-03-01_Texas_v_LSU_Ryan
Ryan Lam

Texas has reached the lowest point in its 2019 campaign.

The Longhorns are coming off a weekend sweep to Oklahoma State, in which they were outscored 36-12 across three games. They have now won just four of their last ten games.

“We’re in survival mode right now,” Texas head coach David Pierce said on Friday in an interview with Texas Sports. “We’re all pissed off about it. We are not pleased with our play.”

The sky was the limit for this Texas team at the beginning of the season. After the first 15 games, Texas sat with a 12–3 record, including a three-game sweep at UFCU Disch-Falk Field over then-No. 2 LSU.

However in the 27 games since, Texas has a losing record at 12–15, and has plummeted in the Big 12 standings as a result.

Heading into the third and final game against Oklahoma State, Pierce had a very direct message for his team, which had just been dominated by the Cowboys.

“Some will have to sit back and evaluate themselves, and coaches do the same,” Pierce said. “It starts with me … We have to figure out what it takes be in survival mode. If that means we have to drag bunt three times in a row … If we have to throw five changeups in a row, it’s called survival and that’s what it’s about. Our team going in there and being tough minded.”

With the final three weeks of the regular season looming, Texas will need to string together as many wins as possible to earn a favorable seed in the NCAA Tournament.

The next opportunity for Texas to find its way back into the win column is a midweek test with the high-powered offense of Texas State (27–13).

The Bobcats are currently riding a six-game win streak in which the team has scored 67 runs over that stretch. With the current struggles on the mound for the Longhorns, the 30-minute bus ride could certainly feel a lot longer on the return trip if things continue to go poorly for the Texas pitching staff.

The Longhorns have been anything but successful on the road this season. Texas has won just six of its 17 road games this season and is 2–8 in its last 10 games away from UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Regardless, Texas knows exactly what it must accomplish Tuesday. Any additional statistic about records or previous games must go out the window if Pierce’s squad hopes to regain its composure before the postseason.

First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Bobcat Ballpark.