News desk editor deletes last oxford comma

Hannah_Daniel_30_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

During my time at UT, people were often confused when I told them I — a public health student aspiring to go to medical school — spent much of my free time working for a newspaper. For a while, so was I.

Although it sometimes felt pointless to spend my time badgering sources for interviews or pestering reporters about deadlines, at other times, it made absolute sense — when a student who had seen his city destroyed by a hurricane thanked me for sharing his story or when I felt the terrible responsibility of editing a fellow student’s obituary. In moments like these, I realized why lab reports and organic chemistry exams couldn’t keep me away from the basement — because the work we did there mattered.

To all the student journalists I worked with and learned from during my semesters at the Texan, thank you for your tireless commitment to what you do. Your work is important, and the world needs you.

Even when I had no desire to attend another obscure lecture or begrudgingly delete another oxford comma, The Daily Texan had an undeniable appeal — the people.

Wynne, thank you for welcoming me into the basement for the first time.

Forrest, you are one of the best people I have ever known. Thank you for making the news department feel like home.

Ellie, you were my favorite news desk editor when I started as a general reporter, and I’ll always be grateful that you gave me a chance to try to be that for someone else.

Catherine and Claire, thanks for letting me stay when I couldn’t make myself leave.

Lisa, Kayla, Maria and Chase, thank you for making me hate pitch meetings a little less. Wesley, I couldn’t have asked for a better other half. I love y’all.

Now, as my dreams of attending medical school become reality and my six semesters at the Texan come to a close, I feel both nostalgic and scared for the future. But, more than anything, I feel grateful.