Injuries pile on during Sunday scrimmage

TrainingCamp_2019-08-04-fall_camp_media_access_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

The Longhorns continued their training camp Sunday with an intrasquad scrimmage. The offense finished victorious over the defense, needing a two-minute drive at the end to pull out the win. After the scrimmage, head coach Tom Herman simply described the scrimmage as “good.”

Along with the outcome of the scrimmage, and more importantly moving forward, were the injuries that occurred. 

Running back Keaontay Ingram “tweaked his knee” during the scrimmage. Ingram has had a great camp so far. After adding weight in the offseason and becoming the clear No. 1 back on the depth chart, he was on his way to a true breakout season. The exact injury still is not clear, but will be after tests are run. 

Ingram’s knee injury comes just a day after it was announced that fellow running back Kirk Johnson will miss up to six weeks with a sternoclavicular joint sprain, leaving the backfield in the hands of Jordan Whittington and Daniel Young. If Ingram is sidelined for any time, Whittington will take over as the top guy. Whittington has also had a great camp, surprising many with how quickly he has picked up the position. 

Also injured on Sunday was preseason Big 12 first-teamer Caden Sterns. Sterns was seen after the scrimmage in crutches and a protective boot. According to Herman, it was only a rolled ankle. However, just like Ingram, further testing will be done later in the week. 

“The on-field examinations looked promising,” Herman said. “But obviously, we’ll know more once we get those guys evaluated.”

The Sterns injury can potentially be the more impactful injury. He is one of the stars of a defense that, right now, is Herman’s biggest concern. 

“(My) biggest concern is just the youth on defense,” Herman said. “We’re really, really talented, but we’ve got to mature. … We’ve got to grow them up.”