Thousands of students from across the globe Mooov-In to on-campus residence halls

Mooov_2019-08-25_Mooov_in_Eddie
Eddie Gaspar

Around 7,400 UT students from 39 countries and 43 states Moooved-In last week to the on-campus residence halls.

Now in its 26th year, the annual event took place Friday and Saturday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. About 400 faculty, volunteers and students came together to welcome new and returning Longhorns moving into the 14 residence halls. 

“We’ve got a lot of partners across campus that help us, including UTPD, the Vice President for Student Affairs office, and even President Fenves comes down and meets with families and pitches in every once in a while,” said Brandon Jones, associate director for student learning and development.

Students checked in at UFCU Disch-Falk Field and received their room key, which allowed them into their dorms. Cynthia Lew, assistant director of marketing and communications for University Housing and Dining, said the event is organized in a way that helps students move in smoothly. 

“People have to sign up for a time slot so that we can make sure that there is not a busy time,” Lew said. “We have a steady flow of people coming in and getting their keys. The other time slots eventually fill up so that we can keep people flowing all day.”

Want more content like this in your inbox every morning?

Jones said volunteers were also stationed at different dormitories to help ease what can be a hectic process and assist students with unloading their belongings.

“Most of our volunteers are going to be students who participated in our (leadership conference),” Jones said. “We’ve also got volunteers that come from different organizations associated with UT-Austin, like Texas Exes Black Alumni Network. We want to make sure that we can make this as streamlined (of) a process that we can.”

Civil engineering freshman Orlando Garcia, who moved into the Jester West Residence Hall on Saturday, said moving in was easy and organized.

“My move-in experience was surprisingly smooth,” Garcia said. “The Mooov-In team made the process smooth and organized and answered all my questions. (I’m) excited about starting this new chapter of my life.”

Mooov-In marks the first of 12 events that make up Longhorn Welcome, a series of events which introduces new students to campus. Civil engineering freshman Kevin Buck said he is attending Longhorn Welcome to get to know the campus better.

“It’s a really easy way to hang out with the new friends I’ve met, get closer with them and then hopefully meet some new ones,” Buck said.