Free on-campus resources provided to students

freestuff_0828_LaurenIbanez(FreeStuff)
Lauren Banez

While UT students have to pay out of pocket for food, books and other necessities, the University offers several free services they might not be aware of.  

Among the free resources offered to students enrolled in the University are Microsoft Office Suite, HBO GO and Legal Services for Students. 

Microsoft Office Suite, which includes Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, is available in the Office 365 portal. Veronica Trevino, Financial and Administrative Services media manager, said students can log in to the portal with their UT EID, and their account is valid until graduation. Trevino said Microsoft Office helps students collaborate with others and keep their work organized.

“Experience with this software can help prepare students for the software technology and project management skills required in the workforce,” Trevino said in an email.

According to the UT ServiceNow website, students will also need to download the security platform DUO to verify their login into these applications since two-factor authentication was implemented last October.

Linguistics junior Eliza Fisher, who works at the Campus Computer Store, said while she does not use the suite often, other students could find it very useful.

“I’m actually more of a Google Drive girl,” Fisher said, “For different majors, it would probably be a lot (more) applicable. I’m not in the engineering school where they really want you to have a Windows device.”

Students can also watch popular programs such as Game of Thrones, Chernobyl and Westworld, along with other TV shows and movies with HBO GO. Cynthia Lew, University Housing and Dining assistant director for marketing and communications, said residents on campus and at University Apartments need their UT EID to stream HBO GO. 

Lew said the service can be used on laptops, phones and televisions, but only one device can be used at a time per account. For example, students will have to log out when switching between their phone or laptop.

The Office of the Dean of Students also provides free services, including Legal Services for Students and Student Emergency Services. Sara Kennedy, Office of the Dean of Students manager of strategic and executive communications, said Legal Services for Students provides legal advisers to students for issues such as car accidents, apartment leases and stolen property issues. 

Kennedy said she realizes seeking legal assistance can be intimidating, but she encourages students who may need assistance to visit their office.

“I want them to know that all of our staff and office are here to support them,” Kennedy said.

Student Emergency Services runs UT Outpost and provides the Student Emergency Fund, a fund of money provided to students facing emergencies. Students in need can visit UT Outpost anytime and pick up a week’s worth of food or professional wear appropriate for interviews or job fairs. Kennedy said no financial information is required to use the services. 

“We would love to have more opportunities to share this resource with students,” Kennedy said. “We want to make sure we can provide the service our students deserve and really need.”