Hooked on UHS Week showcases different services of University Health Services

UHS_2016-08-31_MentalHealth_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

The UT Student Health Advisory Committee is hosting Hooked on University Health Services Week, an event centered around informing students about the different departments at the UHS, through Thursday Sept. 26 at Gregory Plaza.

This is the second time the committee has held the weeklong event, through which they encourage awareness from the student body by tabling on Speedway and giving away pocket first aid kits, stickers and informational flyers.

“We wanted to be able to reach the (highest) number of students,” the committee’s financial director Sahar Jiwani said. “And we figured (tabling) would be the best way to show our presence and get students to know who we are and what we do.”

To give every aspect of the organization an equal spotlight, each day’s theme highlights a different service. Monday’s table featured information on general medicine and urgent care services at the UHS. The table will rotate topics throughout the week, with women’s health on Tuesday, allergy and immunizations on Wednesday and sports medicine and physical therapy on Thursday. 

Jiwani said the services UHS offers are those that most students will end up needing during their time at UT.

“A lot of students don’t know these services are accessible, so they’ll either go without using them and stay sick or they’ll find external sources which can sometimes be costly or inconvenient,” biology senior Jiwani said. “It’s just good to know that there’s a resource on campus that can help you out whenever you’re feeling like you need it.”

While the Student Health Advisory Committee is composed of students in executive positions like Sahar Jiwani, the members outside of those positions serve as ambassadors for UHS.

“Our role on campus is to serve as a liaison between the student body and UHS,” said Sahil Jiwani, public health senior and member of the committee. “Throughout the course of the year, we conduct a lot of events on campus to (raise awareness) of UHS services because we know students come from all sorts of backgrounds.”

Computer science freshman Michelle Sanchez said fellow freshmen and other students new to the University are among those who are most likely to benefit from outreach events such as Hooked on UHS Week.

“I was actually looking for information on flu shots,” Sanchez said. “In a new area, I don’t know what the resources are, so having UHS there to answer my questions shows the University’s commitment to helping (new) students get their footing.”