Big 12 power rankings: Week 11

Lillian Michel

No. 1: Oklahoma

Yes, the mighty Sooners fell two weeks ago. But that isn’t enough to topple them from the No. 1 spot in the rankings. That being said, bumpy roads potentially lie ahead. Oklahoma faces pesky Iowa State, travels to Waco and then plays a young TCU team and a hot Oklahoma State team to finish the season.

No. 2: Baylor

It’s Week 11 and the Bears are still undefeated. Yeah, you read that right. Last week’s 17-14 win over West Virginia didn’t do much to solidify confidence in the team, but head coach Matt Rhule’s squad still hasn’t lost. Like Oklahoma, the money will be made in the last four weeks of the season.

No. 3: Kansas State

Calling the Wildcats “hot” would be an understatement. After dropping their first two Big 12 games, Kansas State has scorched their way back into the Big 12 Championship Game conversation with three straight victories, including taking down then-top six Oklahoma 48-41 in a game that wasn’t even as close as the final score suggests.

No. 4: Texas

Another week, another drop for Texas in the rankings. The Longhorns put together a lackluster performance on both sides of the ball in a 37-27 loss to TCU two weeks ago. After a bye week, several starters in the Texas secondary will be back from injury. We’ll see in the next few weeks if the problems in the Texas defense stem from injury or something deeper.

No. 5: Iowa State

It was hard to differentiate between No. 5 and No. 6. On the one hand, Oklahoma State won the head-to-head between these two last week. On the other, Iowa State’s only other losses came to No. 18 Iowa and No. 11 Baylor. There’s clearly no use in trying to make any sense of the Big 12.

No. 6: Oklahoma State

Talk about a team that’s hard to read. The Cowboys started off 1–3 in the Big 12 with a lone win over Kansas State. Now they have back-to-back victories, redshirt freshman quarterback Spencer Sanders is improving each week and they find themselves ranked No. 23 in the College Football Playoff rankings. Leave it to head coach Mike Gundy to pull off a wacky season like this.

No. 7: TCU

After knocking off formerly ranked Texas in what looked like a turnaround win, the Horned Frogs are in trouble. They fell to Oklahoma State last week and, maybe more importantly, potentially lost freshman quarterback Max Duggan to injury. If Duggan can’t suit up this week, redshirt freshman Matthew Downing will be the only healthy passer on the roster.

No. 8: Texas Tech 

Texas fans know all too well that life is never good when you lose to Kansas. Tech took a trip to Lawrence, Kansas, two weeks ago and came back empty-handed. It’s not a good look for the Red Raiders, but there’s still hope due to the fact that they’ve beaten Oklahoma State and should’ve beaten Baylor.

No. 9: Kansas

In a week where the Jayhawks sold out a football game (!), they were simultaneously brought back down to Earth. Kansas State rolled over Kansas 38-10, but that’s not to say there haven’t been at least incremental improvements from head coach Les Miles. A Big 12 victory, even if it’s over Tech, is a step in the right direction.

No. 10: West Virginia

The Mountaineers are not in as bad shape as it may have seemed, but a loss to Baylor last week doesn’t do anything to help them in the rankings. They’re now on a five-game skid with their last win Sept. 21 over … Kansas.