Sutton, Holmes join Higgs in 1000-point club

sutton_2019-11-21_WBB_Vs_UTRGV_Amna
Amna Ijaz

Senior point guard Sug Sutton’s 12-point performance against Oklahoma State not only propelled Texas women’s basketball to victory in a tough road win Saturday, but it also granted her membership into an exclusive group: Texas’ 1,000-point club.

Sutton, a preseason All-Big 12 Selection, is the 46th player in school history to reach this milestone. In a breakout season last year, she averaged 12.7 points per game, and so far this year, she’s averaged 11.6 points per game.

A month earlier, Sutton’s teammate senior forward Joyner Holmes scored her 1,000th point on a layup she made in the second quarter of the Longhorns’ 73-60 loss to the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine at the Rainbow Wahine Showdown in Honolulu. Holmes scored 17 points total in the matchup and has averaged a team-leading 14.1 points per game this season.

Holmes, Sutton and senior point guard Lashann Higgs are three active players on the women’s basketball team who have reached this mark. Before a season-ending ACL injury in November 2018, Higgs became the 44th player in Texas women’s basketball history to reach 1,000 points during the Longhorns’ 64-54 victory over North Texas. Higgs scored a game high 20 points in the contest. This season, she’s averaged 9.1 points per game after spending nearly a year away from basketball.

Other notable members of Texas’ 1,000 point club include: Ariel Atkins (2014–2018) of the reigning WNBA Champions Washington Mystics; Brooke McCarty (2014–2018) of the Dallas Wings; Clarissa Davis, a Women’s Basketball Hall of Famer (1985–1989); Tiffany Jackson (2003–2007), a former Longhorn women’s basketball assistant coach and former Los Angeles Sparks power forward.