McCombs ranks in top 6 in U.S. for social responsibility, according to Positive Impact

0210_Mccombs_DestinyAlexander
Destiny Alexander

UT’s Red McCombs School of Business was ranked among the top six business schools in the United States for positive social responsibility and impact, according to the 2020 Positive Impact Rating report for Business Schools.

The Positive Impact Rating measures “how business schools contribute to solving societal challenges by energising the school and its culture, by educating current and future leaders … and participating in the public debate,” according to the Positive Impact website. The report was released last month.

The Positive Impact Rating, a Swiss nonprofit association, determined the ranking by sending out a survey to students at top business schools around the world to evaluate the school’s capacity to create a positive impact on the world, according to its website. 

In the surveys, students supported making sustainability and social impact training mandatory in curriculum and encouraged schools to bring science and facts to the political debate, according to a McCombs website blog post.

Jay Hartzell, Dean of the McCombs School of Business, said in a statement on the McCombs website that he is pleased with the positive energy and preparedness he sees in McCombs graduates.

“As an academic community, we study, learn, and discover in a constant state of forward anticipation,” Hartzell said in the statement. 

Thirty business schools worldwide were recognized by the Positive Impact Rating, but only six of those are in the U.S. The sample of students surveyed consisted of bachelor and master students from 21 countries in five continents, according to the website.

Accounting sophomore Kevin Serrano said the community and supportive environment make the school a place that can have a positive impact on social responsibility.

“My favorite part of McCombs, personally, is the fact that the teachers are really invested in their students,” Serrano said. “I feel like I’ve made a very personal connection with them that I’ve never had the privilege of being able to do in the past. Because of the relationship I have with them, I am able to learn so much from them.”

The survey took into account the governance and leadership of the schools when determining the rankings, according to the McCombs blog post. 

Karen Chen, a business analytics graduate student, said career services and faculty regularly reach out to students to offer help and support. 

“McCombs does care for their students,” Chen said.

Tatiana Wolfe, a supply chain management sophomore, said the supportive community comes from other students and counselors, who are always available to students for help with any kind of problem — from academics to mental health.

“If you ever have any problems with anything, you can always go to someone,” Wolfe said. “We have events that have to do with mental health and how (students) are doing physically and emotionally.”

Serrano said McCombs has provided him with valuable resources and networking opportunities. 

“I’ve been able to utilize all these skills that I don’t think I would be able to use at other schools,” Serrano said. “Here in McCombs specifically, I have been able to realize my limitations and also realize where my strengths lie.”