RecSports Recess hosts free day celebrating National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day

recday2020-02-28_RecDay_Kara
Kara Hawley

Students got the chance to enjoy a free day of recreational activities Thursday at Gregory Gymnasium and the Recreational Sports Center in honor of National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day.

RecSports Recess, a group within RecSports that hosts pop-up events, and Outdoor Voices, an Austin-based fitness apparel store, sponsored several free opportunities, including TeXercise classes, access to the climbing wall and five-minute massages for students.

Sports clubs, free samples of Shake Smart smoothies and free gear from Outdoor Voices lined Gregory Gym Plaza. Students played Spikeball and bean bag toss outside and could use the indoor facilities for free with their UT ID.

Chad Zimmerman, event chair for this year’s Rec Day, said the main goal of this event was to get students involved with fitness opportunities at UT and give them an outlet to exercise.

“We always offer TeXercise classes and climbing wall access (at set prices), but this is free for everybody,” Zimmerman said. “It’s another opportunity for people to try it out before they buy and another opportunity for people to just get moving and utilize our programs and services.”

Semesterlong access to the climbing wall is $80, and a TeXercise pass costs $96 for students. Massages cost between $15 and $120.

Ahava Jackman, a human development and family sciences senior, said that she came out to use the free climbing wall and take advantage of the free massages.

“I love rock climbing,” Jackman said. “I go whenever I can, but I don’t have a membership because I have a lot of joint (issues) … I screwed up my knee freshman year, so it just doesn’t make sense to get one.”

Business freshman Rifaa Tajani said she was walking past Gregory Gym when she saw the advertisements for free massages. She said she had never had a professional masseuse give her a massage before and was excited to try it.

“(The free massages) are quick but appreciated because as a college student, you’re up working really late at night and then suddenly you realize your back is really hurting,” Tajani said.

TeXercise members also enjoyed the free festivities. Electrical engineering junior Jacob Grimm said he enjoys taking the yoga class once a week.

“It’s very relaxing,” Grimm said. “It’s always soothing, and I always feel good afterwards.”