LBJ School of Public Affairs dean will conclude her tenure December 2020

LBJ_2020-03-02_LBJ_Dean_Christina
Christina Ke

Angela Evans will conclude her tenure as dean of the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs this December, according to an email from the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost sent last week.

Evans joined UT as a clinical professor in 2009 and has served as dean of the LBJ School since 2016, said Provost Maurie McInnis in the announcement. During her time as dean, she focused her efforts on strengthening diversity and inclusivity within the school, McInnis said.

“Angela Evans has led the LBJ School of Public Affairs with a deep commitment to service,” said President Gregory Fenves in the announcement. “She has expanded the school’s impact, particularly by building strong connections among students, faculty members and government officials.”

This announcement comes as the LBJ School celebrates its 50th anniversary. Evans said part of the job of leading the LBJ School is to prepare for the next generation of leaders. 

“I think people make a mistake by staying too long,” Evans said. “For people who are coming in with new ideas, make sure that you’ve created an environment that’s innovative, that’s healthy, that has great administrative, foundational protocols and processes.” 

Ruth Wasem, clinical professor of public policy practice, said she wishes Evans was staying longer as dean but knows Evans only made a five-year commitment to work in this position. 

“Dean Evans is always someone who has liked to pass the baton on,” Wasem said. “She’s committed to training her replacements and grooming people to succeed her.”

Amy Kroll, a public affairs graduate student, said she received support from Evans when she pitched the idea of creating the LBJ Women’s Campaign School, which will train women on how to run for office or become campaign managers. Kroll presented the idea to Evans in March 2019, and the program is set to launch this June. 

She said Evans reached out to people within the LBJ School network to gain support for the program. 

“This program would not be happening without the support of Dean Evans,” Kroll said. “Her belief in what students can do as leaders and entrepreneurs is inspiring.”

Under Evans’ leadership, Wasem said the LBJ School’s public affairs program ranked among the top 10 in the nation according to the U.S. News & World Report. Wasem said Evans accomplished this by promoting the school and showcasing faculty talent at the University. 

“She wants to shine the light on the people that are good in the school,” Wasem said. 

Varun Rai, associate professor and associate dean for research of the LBJ School, said Evans showed him how to look at the school from a strategic perspective. 

Rai said Evans focused on preparing LBJ students to address the world’s biggest problems in the most effective ways. Because Evans spent nearly 40 years working in Washington, D.C., Rai said she knew what works in the world of policy and how to train students to be successful in that environment. 

“She is the person I think who works (the) hardest and absolutely in the best interest of the school,” Rai said.