UT postpones events at Frank Erwin Center

breakingnewsUSETHISONE
Rena Li

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

The University of Texas is postponing all events at the Frank Erwin Center in the immediate future in response to concerns over COVID-19, UT Athletics Director Chris Del Conte announced in a press release Thursday morning.

“For the health, safety and well-being of all of its patrons, performers and staff, we have decided to postpone upcoming events at the Erwin Center for the near future,” Del Conte said in the press release. “After discussion with University officials and leadership at the Erwin Center we believe it’s in the best interest of everyone involved to proceed with an abundance of caution with events at that facility.”

As of Thursday morning, there has not been a decision made on when the events scheduled to take place at the Frank Erwin Center will resume, although the release said ticket holders will be contacted directly about the postponed events. 

This morning’s announcement will postpone tonight’s Chris Stapleton concert and likely the Sturgill Simpson concert on March 28, the next event scheduled at the Frank Erwin Center. 

This comes less than 24 hours after UT made a string of announcements in response to the growing concerns over the coronavirus. Shortly after UT President Gregory Fenves announced the extension of spring break to March 30, UT Athletics announced that all home games were to be played without any fans in attendance until March 22. 

As for the Frank Erwin Center postponements, this news arrived minutes after all Power 5 conferences –– the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC –– officially canceled their conference tournaments.