Former Longhorn Kevin Durant tests positive for COVID-19

breakingnewsUSETHISONE
Rena Li

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

At a time when the country is seemingly at a standstill, former Longhorn basketball player Kevin Durant has tested positive for the coronavirus, The Athletic reported Tuesday afternoon. 

Shams Charania on Twitter

Kevin Durant tested positive for coronavirus, Durant tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Durant says he is feeling fine: “Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We’re going to get through this.

Durant tested positive for COVID-19 along with three other unnamed Brooklyn Nets players. While there have only been seven confirmed cases among NBA players, that number may continue to rise as more players are tested. 

“Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine,” Durant said to The Athletic. “We’re going to get through this.” 

Durant has been inactive all season after rupturing his Achilles tendon in the NBA Finals last June as a member of the Golden State Warriors. 

While four players tested positive, only one was showing symptoms of the coronavirus. 

“Of the four, one player is exhibiting symptoms while three are asymptomatic,” the Nets said in a press release. “All four players are presently isolated and under the care of team physicians.” 

Durant played for Texas in 2006-07. He averaged 25.8 points and 11.1 rebounds per game and won 2007 consensus National Player of the Year in one season with the Longhorns. 

In 2018, the 10-time NBA All-Star donated $3 million to UT in support of Texas basketball and the Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation. It was the largest gift by any former men’s basketball player in school history.