First UT student, undergraduate dean test positive for COVID-19

Towerpic2_Jack
Jack Myer

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

Two additional members of the University community, including the first student, have tested positive for COVID-19, UT President Gregory Fenves announced in a Wednesday letter.

The student was not identified by the University. Dean Brent Iverson of the School of Undergraduate Studies also tested positive for COVID-19.

“With these confirmed cases today, the impact of COVID-19 could not be clearer,” Fenves said. “It is here in Austin and within our university community, and we must act — through social distancing and other preventative measures — and do our part to limit its effects.”

Public health officials will be reaching out to those who have been in contact with the student and the dean, Fenves said.

Austin-Travis County has confirmed a total of 23 cases as of 11 a.m. Wednesday, according to the City of Austin’s website.

In Texas, 1,907 people have been tested, and 83 cases have been confirmed across 23 counties as of Tuesday, according to the Texas Department of State Health Service’s website. The department has confirmed two deaths related to the coronavirus in the state as of Tuesday, and Collin County confirmed a third Wednesday morning. 

“This is a deeply unsettling time for all of us,” Fenves said. “I know that so many of you are very concerned about your health and, especially, the well-being of those in your life and our community who are most vulnerable to the virus.”

In the letter, Fenves said he expects more cases to be confirmed in the days ahead.

“Please stay safe and vigilant,” Fenves said. “We are all in this together.”