211 UT-Austin students went to Cabo for spring break, 49 tested positive for COVID-19

Tower3_Jack
Jack Myer

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

Forty-nine students who returned from a spring break trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, have tested positive for COVID-19. 

The number includes five more cases than what the University reported Wednesday

According to a UT press release, 211 UT students traveled to Cabo from March 14-19 in total. Of the 211, 178 students went on a charted trip organized by independent travel vendor JusCollege. The chartered trip included students from other colleges/universities, but UT is not aware of the total number of students from other universities who attended JusCollege trips to the region, according to the release.

Soncia Reagins-Lilly, vice president for student affairs and dean of students, said there is not a connection between the trip and any particular UT student organization.

“As we enter a new reality of working together remotely, relying on online tools, it’s vital that we show respect for one another,” Reagins-Lilly said in the release. 

Health officials directed students who tested positive to self-isolate for a minimum of seven days after onset of symptoms and at least two days after they are gone, according to the release. 

“This incident is an urgent reminder of the responsibilities students have to their communities, each other and themselves,” Reagins-Lilly said in the release.