UT-Austin moves summer orientation sessions online

Orientation_2018-06-12_UT_Orientation_Naveen
Naveen Himthani

Editor’s note: This story is part of The Daily Texan’s coverage of how coronavirus concerns are affecting UT-Austin. Read the rest of our coverage here.

UT-Austin has moved all summer new student orientation sessions online amid COVID-19 concerns, according to a UT Twitter and Instagram post. 

The new online sessions are occuring on the same dates the in-person sessions were, from  June 8 to July 22 and again in August for those who could not attend the first seven sessions. 

Incoming students will receive more information about the new online format closer to their orientation session date. However, they will need a computer, webcam, headphones and reliable internet access to complete their orientation programs, according to UT’s orientation website. 

Programming for freshman orientation will be across three days and cost $150 while transfer orientation will be across two and be $65. The fees will cover operational costs including technology services.

More details about completing the online summer sessions will be sent to students closer to their scheduled session, according to the page. Registration for each session will still close at 11:59 p.m. 10 days before the sessions start. 

Incoming students who prepaid for parking or bought tickets for family orientation will receive refunds. Students who paid for an experiential orientation session will also receive refund checks in two to four weeks.