3,500 classes to move online this fall

breakingnewsUSETHISONE
Rena Li

Interim President Jay Hartzell said in an email Tuesday that about 3,500 of 11,000 courses will now be online this coming fall. 

Last month, University officials said about 2,100 fall classes would be online, making this an increase of 1,500 classes from initial predictions. 

Hartzell said the University is keeping a close eye on COVID-19 cases to solidify plans for the fall. Cases have spiked across Texas in the last few days, with Austin reporting a daily record of 506 new cases on June 21, according to data from Austin Public Health.

Hartzell said University officials will share the complete fall plan next week. 

“The disease remains a persistent threat, and our university community must continue to develop plans that are dynamic and adaptable so we can adjust quickly to future circumstances as they arise,” Hartzell said. 

University Health Services will continue to provide COVID-19 testing to the UT community and will resume services on campus in the fall, according to the email. The Counseling and Mental Health Center will continue to provide services online with in-person appointments for necessary services. 

Changes to dining halls may include increased outdoor seating, minimized person-to-person contact, extended hours and to-go only options at some locations, according to the email.