Texas to require masks, mobile ticketing at 2020 football games

football_fans_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Texas Athletics is incorporating new safety measures at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for football game days this fall, a spokesperson announced in a statement on Monday.

“The safety of our student-athletes, fans, visitors and staff is our top priority,” Drew Martin, Texas’ executive senior associate athletic director for external affairs, said in a video statement.

Texas will require fans to wear a mask or face covering at all times when inside the stadium and will move exclusively to a mobile ticketing format for the 2020 season. The University says it is adding more than 3,000 hand sanitizer dispensers within the stadium and will be removing all moveable food, condiment and merchandise kiosks.  On-field activities beyond the football game, including halftime shows, won’t occur.

Martin said Texas Athletics is continuing to work with campus and system officials to look at reduced capacity seating for the 2020 season. 

UT Interim President Jay Hartzell said on July 29 that the University is considering limiting football game day capacity to 25%. This came a week after Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte told season ticket holders in an email that UT plans to host games in the stadium at a 50% capacity. 

All staff will be screened prior to game day, Martin said.