Three UT-Austin on-campus dorm residents test positive for COVID-19

SanJacWeb
Yifan Lyu

Update as of 9/1 at 12 p.m.:

One person has tested positive for COVID-19 in Kinsolving Residence Hall, according to an email sent by University Housing and Dining to secondary contacts of the infected resident. The email, which was provided to the Texan by a recipient, was sent Monday evening.

Original story:

Two UT-Austin dorm residents test positive for COVID-19

Two residents of on-campus residence halls have tested positive for COVID-19, a UT spokesperson said Monday morning.

One resident of a Jester Residence Hall and one resident of San Jacinto Residence Hall have tested positive, UT spokesperson J.B. Bird said Monday morning. Bird declined to comment on whether the case in Jester was in Jester East Residence Hall or Jester West Residence Hall, citing privacy concerns.

Bird said the positive individual in Jester has been isolated, health professionals have reached out to close contacts and potential secondary contacts have been advised to self-quarantine, per University protocol.

“The number of cases will continue to be updated on our COVID-19 dashboard, and if isolated cases evolve into significant clusters, the information will be shared on our website,” Bird said.

University Housing and Dining notified at least two secondary or casual contacts of the infected person in San Jacinto Friday evening, according to an email provided to the Texan by multiple recipients. UHD and University Health Services were not immediately available for comment. 

Casual contacts were told to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, continue social distancing and take their temperature twice daily, according to the email sent by UHD to casual contacts of the infected person living in San Jacinto. Close contacts were advised to self-quarantine, according to the email.

If students experience symptoms related to COVID-19, including coughing, difficulty breathing or a sore throat, they are advised to self-isolate and call the UHS Nurse Advice Line at 512-475-6877, according to the email.

Recipients of the email were encouraged to sign up for a coronavirus saliva test through the University's Proactive Community Testing Program, which is reserved for asymptomatic testing. According to the UT COVID-19 dashboard, 37 UT students, faculty and staff have tested positive or reported testing positive for COVID-19 since the beginning of August.

One resident of Scottish Rite Dormitory, a private off-campus women’s dormitory, has also tested positive for COVID-19, according to previous reporting by the Texan.