Texas counties can only have one mail-in ballot location, according to new Abbott proclamation

AddThis

Photo Credit: Valeria Trevino | Daily Texan Staff

All Texas counties can have only one location for dropping off mail-in ballots by hand starting Friday, Gov. Greg Abbott said in a proclamation Thursday. 

The parking garage at 700 Lavaca St. will be the only mail-in ballot dropoff location in Travis County, County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir said in a Thursday press conference about the new proclamation. Currently, there are four dropoff locations, with three in downtown Austin.

DeBeauvoir also said a lawsuit is not “off the table,” and the Travis County attorney is looking into it. 

Voters must drop off their mail-in ballots after showing a photo ID, signing a roster and putting the envelope into a ballot box, DeBeauvoir said. 

Abbott’s proclamation also mandates poll watchers to observe any activity related to the in-person delivery of a marked mail-in ballot. 

“This is a deliberate attempt to manipulate the election,” DeBeauvoir said in the press conference. “If the governor was truly worried about this, he could have stopped this program more than a month ago or contacted the urban counties that are all doing the same thing Travis County is doing.