Top 10 best horror movies, TV shows to keep you up this Halloween

1030_ScaryMovie_CateLowry
Cate Lowry

If 2020 hasn’t scared you enough, The Daily Texan has selected the 10 best horror movies and TV shows to keep you up this weekend. 

They are arranged by subgenres: drama, comedy and psychological horror. Whether your preference is gory or cheesy, we’ve got you covered. 

Drama

“The Haunting of Hill House”
Available on Netflix 
Told in a 10-part, easy-to-binge format, “The Haunting of Hill House” follows the Crain family as they struggle to process their traumatic childhood growing up in the eerie Hill House. The story is split between two timelines — the summer they spent in Hill House in the early 1990s and the present-day Crain siblings as they struggle to confront their past. 

“The Witch” 
Available on Hulu 
Terrifying, although maybe not historically accurate, the film “The Witch” tells the story of a 1600s Puritan family living an isolated life in New England. The family gradually descends into hysteria after their newborn baby disappears and a sinister force comes after each member of the family. 

“Us” 
Available on HBO Max 
“Us” follows a family that is attacked by a violent group of doppelgängers while on vacation. While “Us” is more of a conventional horror film than director Jordan Peele’s last project “Get Out,” the film still explores how America treats outsiders instead of addressing the real monster — us. 

“Sweetheart” 
Available on Netflix 
The film “Sweetheart” speaks to the resilience and strength of women, no matter what they’re up against. After crash-landing on an island, a survivor must defend herself against the island’s monstrous inhabitant at night and try to battle the elements during the day. 

Comedy

“Little Evil” 
Available on Netflix 
Starring Adam Scott of “Parks and Recreation,” the movie follows a newly married man who believes his 5-year-old stepson is the spawn of the devil. It is heartwarming in a satanic toddler way. 

“Hocus Pocus” 
Available on Disney Plus 
This 1993 film became a cult classic after its release, and the chaotic, quirky journey is still fun almost 30 years later. After a teenage boy accidentally resurrects three witches from the 1700s, he enlists the help of his friends and a magical cat to stop them. 

“Little Monsters” 
Available on Hulu
What would Halloween be without a classic zombie movie — especially one starring Lupita Nyong'o? Set on a school field trip to a safari park, the movie follows three unlikely heroes as they attempt to protect a young group of students from a horde of zombies.

Psychological Horror 

“The Silence of the Lambs” 
Available on Hulu
In one of the most iconic horror films of all time, actress Jodie Foster plays Clarice Starling, a student at the FBI training academy sent to interview brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter, whom the FBI believes may have insight into a new case. 

“The Invisible Man” 
Available on HBO Max
Loosely based on H.G. Well’s book of the same name, “The Invisible Man” follows Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss of “The Handmaid’s Tale”), who believes she is being stalked by her abusive ex-boyfriend who apparently committed suicide. After getting no help from the police, Kass decides she has to take matters into her own hands to fight back. 

“Los Ojos de Julia” (Julia’s Eyes) 
Available on Amazon 
This 2010 Spanish thriller follows a pair of twins who share the same degenerative eye disease. One of the twins, Julia, attempts to track down her sister’s killer after she seemingly commits suicide. The closer Julia gets to solving the case, the faster she loses her sight — and her loved ones.