Big 12 power rankings: Week 10

Big 12 logo_lillian_michel
Lillian Michel/ The Daily Texan

1. Iowa State

Iowa State took the top spot in the power rankings after its 52-22 victory over Kansas last week. The Cyclones are 4–1 in conference play, and their only loss came in a competitive game against Oklahoma State. Sophomore running back Breece Hall put up 185 yards on the ground for the second straight game against Kansas and will look to continue his dominant season against Baylor this week.

2. Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State got in its own way last week, losing to Texas in overtime despite outgaining the Longhorns by 243 yards. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Spencer Sanders was careless with the ball, committing three turnovers that helped Texas stay in the game. The Cowboys will need to be more protective of the ball going into their matchup with Kansas State this week.

3. Oklahoma

Oklahoma had no trouble with Texas Tech last week, beating the Red Raiders 62-28. Redshirt freshman quarterback Spencer Rattler continued his weekly improvement, throwing for two touchdowns and no interceptions against Texas Tech. The Sooners will likely improve to 5–2 against Kansas this week before taking on No. 14 Oklahoma State later this month.

4. Texas

Texas pulled off a huge win over No. 6 Oklahoma State last week, led by junior linebacker Joseph Ossai’s. He had 12 tackles and three sacks, including the game-ending sack in overtime. The sloppiness of the game kept Texas from climbing higher, but the Longhorns got the confidence boost they needed to get the season back on track.

5. West Virginia

West Virginia manhandled Kansas State last week in its 31-10 victory. The Mountaineers defense continues to impress, allowing the Wildcats just 225 yards of total offense. However, West Virginia’s defense will be tested this week as it travels to Austin to face No. 22 Texas.

6. Kansas State

Kansas State fell out of the AP Top 25 after its loss to West Virginia. The Wildcats gave up 485 yards to the Mountaineers in the loss, which ended a four-game winning streak. Kansas State remains 4–1 in the Big 12, but another tough test for the Wildcats’ offense lies ahead this week in No. 14 Oklahoma State.

7. TCU

TCU beat Baylor 33-23 last week. The Horned Frogs jumped out to a big lead in the first half and held on to it the rest of the way, getting their second win of the season. TCU is still looking for a consistent offensive weapon outside of sophomore quarterback Max Duggan. The Horned Frogs take on Texas Tech this week at home.

8. Baylor

Baylor fell to 1–3 last week after its loss to TCU. The Bears still haven’t found a running game, only rushing for 75 yards last week behind a struggling offensive line. Head coach Dave Aranda will need to figure out how to jump-start the run game if Baylor is to have any chance of winning at No. 17 Iowa State this week.

9. Texas Tech

It wasn’t a surprise that Texas Tech was no match for Oklahoma last week. The Red Raiders are giving up 41 points per game and haven’t been able to keep up on offense. However, Texas Tech has a couple of winnable games coming up against TCU and Baylor in the next two weeks.

10. Kansas

Yes, Kansas is still winless. Those who were hopeful that Kansas would take the next step under head coach Les Miles have been disappointed this season. The Jayhawks have lost by double digits in every game so far and travel to Norman to face Oklahoma this week, a game that ESPN gives Kansas just a 1.3% chance of winning.